HISTORY OF BEAVER EXPRESS SERVICE

In the spring of 1943, people living in Northwest Oklahoma in the small communities between Woodward and Beaver, Oklahoma, found out that Mistletoe Express had decided to abandon its service to that area. The abandonment of service would have created a void until a man named Floyd Hamm stepped forward to establish a new express service between Woodward and Beaver. In the tradition of the railroads, the new company was named after the farthest point served; thus Beaver Express was born.

In 1947, Beaver Express was sold to Clarence McPherson, who expanded the service to the Oklahoma communities of Guymon, Arnett and Shattuck. In 1958, the business was sold again to Clyde Reeves. Reeves was the former general manager at Mistletoe Express, and under his direction, the company began immediate expansion. Within a few years, Beaver was servicing virtually the entire Texas panhandle, from Amarillo into eastern New Mexico, and almost all of southwest Kansas. 

A new era began in 1984, when Beaver Express entered into a management contract with Edmond Motor Freight. This allowed Beaver Express access to the vital Oklahoma City market in a regulated environment, and the company was able to survive tremendous competition from Mistletoe Express. A similar agreement was made with L & L Motor Freight in 1987, and additional service was gained to the southern and eastern sections of Oklahoma. Beaver Express also began some aggressive expansion into Kansas. In June of 1984, the company began service to Wichita, as well as additional points in central and western Kansas.

In January 1995, the U.S. Congress passed deregulation legislation removing the states’ rights to regulate trucking within each state. By May of 1995, the three companies had begun serving all points in Oklahoma, as well as some additional points in Kansas. 

Several years of solid revenue growth followed. As the company grew, it caught the attention of a larger carrier. In January 1997, Beaver Express, Edmond Motor Freight, and L & L Motor Freight merged with Western Parcel Express, a small package carrier based in Santa Fe Springs,CA. In January 2000, Edmond Motor Freight and L&L Motor Freight were dissolved, and Beaver Express, LLC was formed to include all three companies as one.

At WPX/APX’s direction Beaver Express took over the former Film Transit service area, including terminals located in Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville, TN, Little Rock, AR, and Jackson, MS, in April 2000. Those areas were operated as part of Beaver Express until they were closed by APX in April 2001. In August 2001, Beaver Express took over operations of the former TexPack terminal in Lubbock, TX, and established several new agents and linehaul runs in West Texas and Southeastern New Mexico.

In May 2002, the former owners of Beaver Express purchased most of the assets and liabilities of Beaver Express, LLC from APX, and created a new company called Beaver Express Service, LLC. Within a few months, the new company had restructured the linehaul runs in and out of the Kansas City market, and in January 2003, Beaver Express opened a terminal in Dallas, and started service to several East Texas and West Texas towns. In the spring of 2005, Beaver Express expanded service to several Central Missouri points. Today, Beaver Express Service, LLC serves over 3,200 towns in 6 states with more than 320  employees and over 140 independent contractors.